After a few times with the Apple Pie recipe, I have decided to modify it and improve its flavour.
Here goes –
- Puff Pastry – 2 Sheets (I used Pampas Full Fat Puff Pastry, the reduced fat pastry does’t puff up very well)
- Apples x 2
- Dried Apricots x 15 pieces
- Lemon Curd (Yackandandah hand made Lemon Curd)
- 1/2 Cup Raw Sugar (Any sugar would do.
- 2 tsp Cardamom Pistachio Sugar from Gewurzhaus (review of Gewürzhaus Herb & Spice Merchants HERE). The cardamom sugar is pretty much three-in-one sugar with the spice perfect for dessert apple recipe
- Cut each puff pastry sheet into 4 smaller squares – you will have 8 squares by the end and make 8 pockets with them
- Slice apple up
- Dice apricots
- Mix apple slices with lemon curd and raw sugar in a microwavable bowl, microwave for 2 minutes
- Mix in diced apricots and spices after microwaving, leave to cool
- Preheat oven to 220C for conventional oven, and 220C for fan forced oven
- Line tray with baking paper
- Spread each puff pastry square with lemon curd
- Place about 10 slices of apple (dependent on the thickness) onto the square
- Fold each square into triangles and seal the edges
- In the oven it goes…
20-25 minutes later >>>
I was very happy with this batch of Apple bake because the textures were softer after microwaving the apple first, and sweeter from the extra sugar. The portion is also better controlled by making smaller pockets, it also allowed more surface area to puff and crisp up.
Find Nikki on Instagram: