Berry Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing adapted from this fantastic recipe: Raspberri Cupcakes
Leave the butter, eggs and cream cheese out and bring to room temperature
Ingredients for Plain Cupcakes:
- 125g Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs (room temperature preferable)
- 1/3 cup Orange Juice
- Optional: 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 225g Self-raising Flour
Ingredients for Lemon Cream Cheese Icing:
- 125g Light Philadelphia Cream Cheese Block (or any Cream Cheese) at room temperature
200150g sifted icing sugar
- a few teaspoons lemon juice
- half a teaspoon of lemon zest
Steps to Plain Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a cupcake tray with paper cases.
- Cream butter and sugar together using an electric beater until light and smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat in well.
- Add the juice and flour and quickly mix until combined, avoid overbeating the flour.
- Throw in half a pack of washed frozen berries (thawed or not) or a full punnet of fresh berries of your choice. It takes the same amount of time to bake and makes the cakes super super moist.
Steps to Cream Icing:
- Use a spatula and soften the cream cheese, then mix in icing sugar with a beater.
- Add lemon juice one teaspoon at a time, mixing it in well each time, use speed 2 until you have desired texture. Add lemon zest and then spoon onto cupcakes!